Friday, February 26, 2010

Hey lookie... a new post!

Howdy all... been quite a while since I set my fingers to the keys for the place, but I've got a bug in my backside and I need to share. Aren't you glad? I knew you would...

Anyways, the wife and I have been dealing with some questions about food and appropriateness, especially as it relates to kids. Well, this got me thinking... Dangerous, I know. I believe that the modern American diet is one of the primary causes of the rampant obesiety in this country. There are other factors as well, but I do believe that diet is a major factor. With fast food, pre-packaged food, and sugar/high-fructose corn syrup in beverages dumping massive amounts of calories into the body, the human body isn't sure what to do with it if it isn't burnt off very quickly. It is a survival technique our bodies know from the days of feast or famine living. Also, with the calories being so readily available to the body (i.e. sugar, high-fructose corn syrup, simple carbs, etc.) our bodies are adapting to this. The "sugar high" and "sugar crash" cycle is leading to greater incidences of diabeties and insulin-resistance.

Another portion of this is the availability of all foods year round. Remember when you couldn't get fresh tomatoes in February? Or if you could, they were greenhouse grown and Expensive as all get out? Everyone wants cheap food and they want whatever they have a taste for. People have forgotten that there are cycles to nature and that it is pretty darned unnatural to be able to have fresh tomatoes when the outside world is blanketed by a heavy layer of snow and ice.

Anyways, we try to eat healthfully, but it is not that easy anymore. It seems that most everything has bleached white flour, refined sugar, high-fructose corn syrup, or some thing that some person has done to it somewhere to make it less than natural. So even the recipes we grew up on are no longer as healthful as they once were.

So I know what remember eating when I was growing up. I am interested in knowing what recipes everyone else remembers from growing up. I am looking to see if I can find recipes that can still be as healthful today as they were when we were growing up.

Lemme know what you think...

No comments: